Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Father's Day



It was Kaelub's first Father's Day as a dad, so that made the day a little more special this year. Eli & I took him out to dinner on Saturday at a new place we wanted to try. (It was between this place and Texas Roadhouse--Kaelub's favorite!) It got off to a bad start with weird salsa. There's nothing better than great chips and salsa, but we were disappointed right off the bat. And the food was just o.k., so we won't eat there again. But it was still fun to go out & then we came back home to watch a movie. I know--we are such party animals.

Tribute to My Dad--
This is a poem I wrote a few years ago and I think it's the best way to express how I feel about my dad this Father's Day.

Dad

I remember the time
So long ago
When I would sit on your lap
While you read to me
And the days when I would watch
Out the window for you
To return from a long day at work
Your job was not fancy
And didn’t make you rich in the world’s eyes
But in your family’s eyes you were a hero
All the vacations we took
The smiles, laughs, and sometimes angry words
Left memories that will never fade
They will be passed on from generation to generation
For all to know who you were and what you stood for
Now you are gone
And I try to be strong
But sometimes I still miss you
I know that you are free
From the body that held you back
It seems like forever before I will see you again
But I can’t wait for the day
When I can run into your arms,
Give you a hug,
And say, “I love you dad.”

1 comment:

Megan and Shawn said...

Happy Father's Day to the big poppa Kaelub! Father's Day is so much fun now that Sam can participate a little. Great poem too, Janelle you are a women of many talents!