Saturday, August 20, 2011

Cake Pops


My very talented cousin Lanette heard from my mom that I made cake pops for a friend's birthday party, and she wanted me to do a post on them. I looked around online at a lot of different recipes, and after trial and error came up with what worked best for me. And probably the AZ heat right now. :) There are so many different combinations you can do, but this party was circus themed for adults and kids so I chose one that the adults would like and one for the kids. For the adults, it was German chocolate cake with the coconut pecan frosting. And for the kids, white cake with rainbow chip frosting. You will also need lollipop sticks (those white ones found in the cake decorating/wedding area) and chocolate to dip them in. I used what I call the chocolate melting bark from Walmart that is found near the chocolate chips. I used both milk and white. Here are the steps I followed:
1. Bake cake as directed on package.
2. Let sit until cool. (mine was just slightly warm.)
3. Crumble cake in a bowl. I used a fork, but you could use your hands too.
4. Mix in the container of frosting.
5. Roll into balls. I used my small cookie scoop to get them all the same size.
6. Place on cookie sheet covered in wax paper.
7. Melt small amount of chocolate and dip the lollipop sticks in the chocolate. Then stick them in the cake balls.
8. Place in freezer for an hour.
9. Melt remaining chocolate and dip the cake balls. Sprinkle anything you would like to add. (I did coconut and Heath toffee bits for the German chocolate ones. And bright colored sprinkles for the white cake pops.)
10. Stick them in styrofoam or green floral foam to set up. Once the German chocolate ones had set up I drizzled some white chocolate on a few too.
And that's pretty much it! I did put mine in the fridge after they set just to keep them out of sight from Eli and make sure they didn't get melty. You can also do them without the sticks, and use a spoon to roll them in the chocolate. I did that for half of the ones I made.

3 comments:

Miriam@BeBookBound said...

little bit of drool happening here, just FYI. :)

jenifer said...

so fun! i've been afraid to try these... but, yours look GREAT!!

Lanette said...

Well, I WISH I was as talented as you. I'm a talented COPIER:). Those are so cute. I'm going to try it. I'll probably mess them up, but I guess that gives me a reason to make them again and again and again (I have a mighty sweet tooth these days). Thanks for the step by step directions. That will save my life. Thanks for posting this!